Wednesday, November 17, 2010

SEE, ASL, PSE - What does it all mean?

Simply stated ...

SEE = Signed Exact English
This type of sign language is signing every single word in English to sign. If you want to say, "I go to the store" one would sign each word "I want to go to the store."

ASL = American Sign Language
This type of sign language is the language of the Deaf. It has its own syntax and grammar. If you wanted to say, "I go to the store" one would sign "store I go." Did you know it is the 4th most commonly used language in America? Check out the ASL link.

PSE - Pidgin Sign English
This type of sign language is a combination of English and ASL. It doesn't follow English in exact word order nor the syntax and grammar of ASL. If you want to say, "I go to the store" one would sign "I go store."

1 comment: